Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Early Impressions

Round 2


     After my first 3 week visit to Japan a couple years ago I decided Japanese was something I wanted to
pursue more through college. Why are the people so friendly? Why could I spend 3 weeks being hosted
by people I had met over a beer outside a 7-11 in Bangkok and only spent 5 days with? I'm still trying to
understand how to gauge if the hospitality is authentic or just a gesture which I'm not really supposed to
take people up on. I feel like most first impressions of Japan will at some point include geishas and
samurai. Case in point from my trip to Kyoto last week:
Maiko performing for the beginning of spring.
          
     While samurais and geishas are a part of Japanese history and I always look forward to spotting
them in Kyoto (the geishas, haven't seen any samurais walking the streets) there were other details of
Japan that caught my attention upon arrival. I think most foreigners would immediately notice the lack of
trash, it seems in some areas that I had to search to find it outside of a receptacle as a sort of Where's
Waldo game. It is easy enough to reason why, living on an island where space is limited would influence
anyone's habits. Other things that come to mind: urban agriculture, beer in vending machines, respect and
courtesy.



     It also felt very safe, though this could be attributed to being 6'1" and quiet larger than the
average Japanese male, it seemed like my own mentality changed upon arrival. There are places in
America I wouldn't go and I'm sure that applies to areas in Japan also, but the feel of needing the
security of being licensed, trained, and armed to the teeth to go on a motorcycle trip wouldn't cross my
mind as much here as back in the states. Maybe the language barrier acts as a shield against observing
people's odd habits and if the day of becoming fluent arrives my perceptions will change, but I find this to
not be likely. The differences here and throughout the world always reinforce my respect for diversity in
the ways people choose to live and I am always happy to be an observer of these different lifestyles first
hand.

     

1 comment:

  1. You have some interesting questions to begin your second journey to Japan. I hope you have plenty of opportunities to investigate by interacting with Japanese people.

    I like the globe layout, but it does make reading the text a bit difficult. Can you tone down the background and/or make the text darker? Otherwise you might consider changing.

    Also, please put the disclaimer and CC within the blog layout rather than within posts.

    I look forward to following your discoveries in your future posts.

    ReplyDelete